tuition to young jazz musicians in Devon.
The orchestra is now a registered charity and is run by a committee of parents and supporters.
DYJO teaches young people from across the whole of Devon to play and perform a wide variety of Jazz
DYJO has won many national awards over its history for its performances and educational programme, and continues to play to enthusiastic audiences in Devon and beyond. Our main educational programme includes intensive monthly rehearsals from September to March, as well as a three day residential in October half-term.
Recent performance highlights have included:
* Music festivals including Teignmouth Jazz Festival, Dart Music Festival, Budleigh Jazz Festival and Salcombe Festival
* Concerts with jazz stars including Dave O’Higgins, Gordon Campbell, Bruce Adams, John Etheridge, and many more.
* A performance at the Music for Youth Primary Prom at Exeter University.
* Tours to perform at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2010 and 2012
* Performing at the House of Commons with local musician Mike Westbrook
The Devon Youth Jazz Orchestra comprises the best of Devon’s young jazz musicians and is split into two separate bands:
DYJO2 – Under the direction of Brian Moore, this is the younger of the two bands, and is focused on the essentials of big band playing.
DYJO1 – With Graham Hutton, this is the senior band and aims to stretch the players’ skills in all directions in a wide range of repertoire.