The Devon Youth Jazz Orchestra was formed in March 1975 with the intention of providing performance experience and expert tuition to young jazz musicians in Devon.
The orchestra is now a registered charity and is run by a committee of parents and supporters.
This year marks the 40th Anniversary of the formation of DYJO with a celebration weekend in April and the orchestra will be travelling to Serbia in August 2015 to perform at a music festival in Nis.
DYJO teaches young people from across the whole of Devon to play and perform a wide variety of Jazz, and has won many national awards over its history for its performances and educational programme, and continues to play to enthusiastic audiences in Devon and beyond. Our main educational programme includes intensive monthly rehearsals from September to March, as well as a three day residential in October half-term.
Recent performance highlights have included:
• Music festivals including Teignmouth Jazz Festival, Dart Music Festival, Budleigh Jazz Festival and Salcombe Festival
• Concerts with jazz stars including Dave O’Higgins, Gordon Campbell, Bruce Adams, John Etheridge, and many more
• A performance at the Music for Youth Primary Prom at Exeter University.
• Tours to perform at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2010, 2012 & 2014
• Performing at the House of Commons with local musician Mike Westbrook
The Devon Youth Jazz Orchestra
comprises the best of Devon’s young jazz musicians and is split into two separate bands. DYJO2, under the direction of Brian Moore, is the younger of the two bands, and is focused on the essentials of big band playing.
DYJO1, with Graham Hutton, is the senior band and aims to stretch the players’ skills in all directions in a wide range of repertoire.
This year the repertoire includes classic big band charts such as Buddy Rich’s Norwegian Wood and Dave Brubeck’s Blue Rondo a la Turk for DYJO1 and Count Basie Moten Swing and Benny Goodman’s Stompin at The Savoy for DYJO2.
We are always looking for new players, aged 11-18. If you are keen to find out more, please check our website: www.dyjo.org or email: email@example.com for more details.
15th, 16th & 17th May 2015